Thursday, 3 January 2008

The Odds

It all started in November, 2007.

It was a Saturday. I was shopping in the supermarket near my place and was lining up for bread when I saw a Chinese man in the line. He looked familiar to me and actually reminded me of someone I met in Bath in 2002. But I thought to myself, how possible could that be? By the time I could do anything, he had already left the supermarket.

I went back home, searched the back of my memory and finally remembered his name. Although I was not 100% sure that the guy I saw was him nor that it was his name, I thought, wth, next time if I saw him again I should check with him.

And ZOOM to 2008. I saw him yesterday in the supermarket again. This time I worked up the courage and tapped him on the shoulder and asked him if he had studied in Bath before. And to my surprise, he had and he straight away told me his name. And YES! He is the person I thought he is! Sadly though, he could not remember me or my name.

So I refreshed his memory a bit and we chatted and exchanged name cards. He started working in an UK firm after he graduated from Bath and was transferred to Dubai in April. He is now staying in the Marina too.

It is a very very small world after all.

I am still totally shocked that I actually reunited with a Hong Konger who I met in Bath when I was doing an exchange from Singapore, right here in Dubai! What are the odds?!?!

We are going to meet up tomorrow for lunch for a quick chat. This is an amazing encounter. I should totally go and get 4D or mark 6!!!

No comments: